The Virginia Association of Secondary School Principals (VASSP)/National Association of Secondary School Principals (NASSP) – a unified membership organization – serves middle level and high school principals, assistant principals, supervisors, and other administrators throughout the commonwealth of Virginia. VASSP/NASSP understands the obstacles that administrators like you face every hour of every day. Your professional associations are working harder and faster than ever before to give you practical, peer-tested solutions to these daily challenges.
In an education climate of greater demands and fewer resources, Virginia’s school administrators must be heard. VASSP provides you with the inspiration and support to guide improvements in your school and a strong voice to reach your state and national government leaders, legislators, and media.
With the help of an experienced team of lobbyists, we communicate directly with legislators and state agency administrators to enhance education policy and ensure the success of your schools.
Whether you’re a new or veteran administrator, you can make a difference for your school, for our state, for our nation. If you want to change legislators’ minds about what’s really happening and what’s really needed in education, join the VASSP/NASSP team today. There’s power in numbers and we need your professional participation. From the classroom to the statehouse to Capitol Hill, we are changing minds where it really counts.
Why join the VASSP/NASSP?
- Professional membership will enhance your career and provide you with a number of needed services. Specifically, your investment in VASSP/NASSP will give you a return for your money in the following ways:
- Legal assistance, mediation service, and legal protection plan.
- Personal, professional assistance from the VASSP staff.
- Monitoring of job related lawsuits in order to assure local board of education compliance with provisions of Virginia’s Sovereign Immunity Law.
- Peer recognition programs for principals and assistant principals.
- Job opportunities and career advancement.
- Continuing education and professional development opportunities at a substantially lower fee that that paid by nonmembers.
- A voice in the Governor’s Office, Virginia General Assembly, Virginia Board of Education, and related organizations.
- Professional representation at board meetings, grievance hearings, suspension appeal hearings, and other meetings in which a member desires advocacy.
- Timely publications with up-to-date information that is important to your career.
- A professional network of colleagues from around Virginia.
Summary of Benefits
- Legal consultation
- Professional representation
- Legal defense fund accessibility (up to $10,000 for 10 consecutive years of membership in VASSP/NASSP)
- 2 Million in principal/assistant principal professional liability insurance
- Professional development opportunities
- Legislative representation at state and national levels
- Current/archived publications
- Access to on-line job vacancies
- Voting privileges at VASSP and NASSP elections
- Ability to serve on VASSP and NASSP committees and appointments to VDOE committees
- Ability to hold state and national office/serve on the boards of directors
For more information on benefits from the NASSP office, please visit Member Benefits